Monday, September 22, 2014

Tie Dyed Cupcakes Recipe

Hey guys! There's been a trend going around that's caught several eyes, and it's the tie dyed food trend. I've seen everything tie dyed recently from popsicles to birthday cakes, so when me and my little cousin Landry needed something to do on Friday night, we decided to take a crack at it. This is a fantastic recipe to make with kids who love baking. Me and Landry had such a fun time making these!





Yep, that's how a pan looks when you leave a seven year-old in charge of pouring the batter. It gets pretty messy.





  1. To make these scrumptious cupcakes, begin with a white or yellow cake mix. Make the batter as usual.
  2. Once your batter is mixed, separate it into three equal portions (if you're using more than three colors, then you'll want to have that many groups of batter). It doesn't have to be exact, but I ended up with about 1 1/4 cup of batter per section.
  3. Start adding your food coloring. My colors were pink (made with 14 drops of red), yellow (made with 5 drops of yellow), and orange (made with 7 drops of yellow and 2 drops of red).
  4. Once your batter and food colorings are mixed completely, start layering them into the cupcake wrappers. I did mine by putting one layer of one color, one layer of another color, and so on until the muffin cup was about 3/4 of the way full.
  5. Cook your cupcakes! I baked both of my pans separately on 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes each. I hate my cupcakes overdone, so this is a perfect cook time for them to be just done.

Let them cool, and you're finished! 
We really liked the funky look of the cupcakes, so we decided not to frost them. These are so easy to do, and Landry could do it all with ease. She barely even needed me there to help! She absolutely loved the cupcakes, and we had some kids over the next day that adored the fun look of these desserts! They're great for family get-togethers where there will be several children around (and adults!).

That's it for this recipe! I'll be doing some more recipes in the near future, so keep an eye out! If you have any requests that you'd like to see me make (or at least attempt to!), drop a comment below. See ya!

3 comments:

  1. those look REALLY good! Definitely a must-try!

    Kim
    http://trendkeeper.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with the above comment!...these do look really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're so easy as well! If you're making cupcakes anyway, it's no big deal to just add the coloring.

      Delete