Friday, November 21, 2014

My Letter to Guys

Dear Guys That Think Makeup Is Useless,

Every morning, women layer product upon product on their faces to look pretty. Foundation, concealer, powder, blush. You name it, we've got it. Some women can spend up to an hour perfecting their makeup in the morning, as hard as that is to believe. We know the ins and outs of different brands and products and have learned exactly what techniques to use to get the desired effect.

You think we do all this for you. We don't. Believe it or not, our lives don't center around your opinions of us. We have some self-worth, you know. But if we don't wear it to please you, why do we do it?

We do it for ourselves.

There's something satisfying about looking in the mirror and thinking to yourself, "I look pretty." It's the feeling that inspires confidence and makes us feel beautiful inside and out. Looking beautiful and feeling beautiful can go hand in hand. When I put on makeup in the morning, I get a boost of energy from seeing how I look. I'm putting makeup on because that surge of energy is what gives me the confidence to go through my day without worrying about the world's criticism. I look good to me, and that's what matters.

A huge point that my guy friends make is that women are "altering" their appearances and "deceiving" them. That is VERY far from the truth. Labeling all women that wear makeup as fake is the most ridiculous thing you could possibly do. Granted, there are some women that layer it on so intensely that they look like barbie dolls, but not every girl out there is an alien under her makeup. Girls use makeup to enhance their best features, not create new features. It's like you using hair gel to enhance your naturally curly hair. You're not changing your hair, you're enhancing it. That's what we're doing with makeup, not putting on a mask to deceive you.

So don't flatter yourself, boys. We don't care about your opinions enough to take the time to make ourselves look perfect in the morning for you, we do it for ourselves.

-Any Girl That's Been Judged For Wearing Makeup

8 comments:

  1. Love this post! I'm always frustrated when guys ask me "What's the point of wearing makeup if you're just hiding your real features?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, it's so true. A lot of guys in high school used to say that girls only wear makeup to impress guys and I would always tell them that that wasn't true... girls wore makeup up for themselves, to feel pretty or to just feel good that day. nothing wrong with that. I know I look more awake when I have some color on my lips and put some mascara on so of course I feel better about myself. :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! Sometimes guys just don't get it ;)

      Delete
  3. "Don't flatter yourself, boys" I love you.
    I find it so annoying when guys complain about girls wearing make-up! We wear it to boost our confidence and to feel good about ourselves, not to impress them! We like being pretty!

    Would you like to follow each other? xo let me know!
    Cloudy Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! It's funny how often guys think we're doing our makeup or dressing for them. I had a boyfriend tell me "I don't know why you spend so much time on your nails - I don't even notice when you do them." I told him that my world didn't revolve around him and I did my nails for me above anyone else.

    xo, Rochana | thatsaskgirl.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are still convinced its worn for them. Ahh lol

    xo
    Maggie A
    LOVE MAVIN || BLOG
    LOVE MAVIN || YOUTUBE

    ReplyDelete
  6. On a whole, I would say yes, I do put on make up for myself. This is more so during the day, when I wear minimal makeup. But at night, its a different story and I'd be lying if I said I didnt have BOYS, BOYS, BOYS on my mind when I apply those lashings of liners and gloss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I love the message here, and hope more men [and women] read this. :) In addition to highlighting my favorite features [for my own feelings of confidence], I do view makeup as a sort of character creation- it allows me to express myself in ways that I normally wouldn't get the opportunity to do, and play with color, like a beautiful leopard or peacock or something. Same goes for more permanent 'makeup'- tattoos. It's my way of expressing on the outside, the beauty I know is on the inside.. I'm not 'hiding', I'm putting my real self out there for the world to see!

    Keep inspiring, girl! ;)

    http://inf3kted.com

    ReplyDelete