Sunday, December 7, 2014

Defining Glamour

As amazing as the holidays are, some of us can be left feeling bummed out during this time of year. Social media is covered in excited friends going out every night, there are happy holiday shoppers everywhere you look, and smiling faces are plastered all over every magazine cover, commercial, and billboard. Getting away from the holiday spirit is pretty impossible at this time of year, and sometimes you get to thinking- Why don't I feel as glamorous as these people look? Why aren't I going out every night in a sparkly dress and nine-inch heels for parties instead of sitting at home watching Netflix in sweats and a t-shirt? Well, here's the answer. You don't need to.

You were doing just fine until these holiday-goers started popping up everywhere you looked. Why are things different just because everyone else is partying and you aren't? Today's #25DaysOfGlam topic is Holiday Glam, and I'm going to tell you how I feel glamorous without living up to society's standards.
Feeling glamorous is all a matter of perspective. Society's perspective of glamorous is full of glittery dresses and blown-out hair. But what about your perspective of glamorous? Why is it any less important that the standards of today's society? I can tell you right now that I don't own a single glamorous dress. I've never been to a glamorous party. And I've certainly never degraded myself because of how society defines glamour. 

When I want to feel glamorous, I throw on a pair of jeans, find my favorite blouse, give myself a smokey eye, and curl my hair. I go out to a movie, get dinner with my family, or go to the mall with some friends. I don't party, I don't wear a revealing dress, and most of all, I don't care. And that's what matters. I feel beautiful when I do my best job on my hair and makeup, and I feel beautiful when I wear a cute top. I let my own standards define me rather than conforming to the views of others because they don't matter. You matter, and how you see yourself matters because the only real way to feel good about yourself is to believe it. Forget what everyone tells you and try something new. Redefine glamour and show the world what you're made of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment