Thursday, December 4, 2014

Saving During The Holidays

I can't be the only one in the world that has trouble with spending too much during the holiday season... Can I? I'm such an insane shopper that I enjoy shopping for my friends as much as I love shopping for myself, and I sometimes have a hard time keeping a limit on how much I spend. Today I'm sharing my tips for keeping tight grip on your pocketbook this time of year!
1. Don't Put It Off
All of my fellow procrastinators know the feeling of realizing that it's a week before Christmas and you don't even have any idea what you're getting a friend, and by that time, there's a good chance that a lot of awesome sales have ended, and you could've saved so much more on items. Keep an eye out for sales all the time in the weeks leading up to the holidays because there are some pretty sick deals floating around right now. Don't put it off!
2. Ditch the credit cards

I can't shop with a credit card for the life of me. Not paying out of my own pocket makes it SO much harder to limit my purchases and keep in line with my budget. I've found that it's much less tempting to splurge when you're paying upfront for the items with cash out of your own pocket. Handing over a hundred dollar bill is a lot harder than swiping a credit card!


3. Make a Budget
If you're buying for a lot of people, you have to make a budget. If you're splurging for everyone's gifts, you're going to be out a lot of cash afterwards. Most people make budgets for friends but never stick to them, which is a fatal flaw when gift shopping. If you have a set budget, don't go over it, no matter what. If your budget is $20.00 per person, stay at $20.00. This doesn't mean $22.00, it doesn't mean $25.00, it means $20.00. If you start inching your budget up and up, you'll end up doing that for everyone on your list, which defeats the purpose of a budget in the first place.
4. List List, List!
Making a list is a great way to shop for friends! Make a list of 3-5 possible gifts that are in your price range for everyone on your list and look for these things. This will help you stay on track and prevent you from browsing for gifts that are out of your price range, tempting you to raise your precious budget!

5. Shop Online
Just because you're shopping on a budget doesn't mean you can't find some AWESOME gifts! Looking at the price tags at a store may make you think so, but that's definitely not the case. If there's something that you know would make the perfect gift but is too expensive, check online retailers like ebay! Ebay has brand new, unopened products by thousands of retailers for as little as a fraction of the price! I always check ebay for the best deals on items, and it REALLY pays off in the long run. 
What are you waiting for? Get shopping, and don't forget to keep these tips in mind! But before you start scouring the internet for the perfect gift, check out Rachel from The Haute Notes' favorite holiday saving tips here!

1 comment:

  1. #2 - YES. staying no budget is so much easier if you take cash with you! that's what I do :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete