The first thing I would recommend any girl looking to start using makeup to do is to get her makeup done professionally somewhere. If you have no idea what you're doing, you should always have a professional explain it to you first. They'll show you what shades suit your skin tone and set you up with some products to get you going. I went to Ulta the first time I ever had my makeup done, and they found me some blushes, shadows, mascara, lip glosses, power, bronzer, and some spot concealer that suited my skintone. They also found me a basic set of brushes and showed me how to use them properly.
At that point, I was still really young and had a pretty consistent skin color all over, so it wasn't necessary to get a good foundation yet, so when it became necessary for me to start using foundation, I had to find one myself. When you're looking for a foundation that suits your skintone, the best thing to do is to go to a makeup store completely barefaced and try different products out on your cheek. Most people think the back of your hand is good enough, but it is not. The color of your hands can be completely different than your face, and your hands are going to take the color differently. Just go in and try things out until you find a shade that's good for you. Also, don't judge a color by how it looks immediately after application! Wait a couple of minutes for your skin to properly absorb and adjust to the product before giving it your final judgement.
If you're ever debating between two shades of makeup, I would always go lighter. A makeup line is never attractive! But if you're like me and just don't think you can go with that lighter shade, buy both! I use two foundations every morning and mix them together on the back of my hand before application. It works just as well as buying a single shade, and it lasts twice as long!
When you're applying makeup for the first few times, you're obviously not going to get it right. My favorite way to perfect a look I've never tried before is to wait until nighttime and experiment! I do my makeup at night ALL THE TIME. On nights when I'm not going out for anything, I stay in and experiment with new makeup techniques and colors. I actually find it really relaxing, and I genuinely enjoy it.
If you're looking for product recommendations, there are a few items that are better to use when you're just getting started. Pencil liner, for example, is much easier to apply than a liquid or gel liner. You have much more control, and it'll be easier to get your desired look.
Also, I would suggest using powder blushes when starting out over cream-based blushes. They blend much easier and are easier to get off if you apply too much.
I always recommend lip glosses to new makeup users over lipsticks. New makeup users tend to apply more than necessary, and it's extremely easy to go overboard on the lipstick. I had several extremely bad nights out with a tube of bright red lipstick from my earlier makeup days that I sorely regret.
Lastly, just have fun with it! Makeup can be an awesome tool once you get the basics down, and anyone can master it if they practice enough. When are you going to start wearing makeup, and if you're already a makeup whiz, when did you first start using makeup? Let me know in the comments below!
This post was featured in IFB's latest Links La Mode roundup! Check out other amazing new articles below!
Links à la Mode: February 12th
- Affordorable: 8 Things Super Bloggers Do That We Wish We Could
- Attire Club: Men's Style Guide for Valentine's Day 2015
- ChromoBeauty: How to Start Wearing Makeup
- Everyday Starlet: Sweet & Romantic Valentine's Day Makeup Tutorial
- Fashilluminous: 5 Tips for Shopping Online
- Fashion Culturalist: Is It Time to Quit Fast Fashion?
- Flipflops & Furs: Hairstyles for Spring
- Hazel Eye Personality: Valentines Day Outfits for Every Kind of Date
- Head2Heels: Three Fun Valentine's Day Looks
- Ms. Fabulous: New York Fashion Week 2015 Designer Inspiration
- My Fashion S/ash Life: New Model Advice Tips, Fashion Karma, Finn Juniper Denaro
- Rolala Loves: Start the Day Right With Lemon Water
- State of Cate: Solitude: Your Enemy, Your Friend, Your Necessity
- Storybook Apothecary: How to Earn Extra Money Blogging Online – The Best Affiliate, Ad and Publisher Networks
- Style Bizzare: 10 Cruelty-Free Fashion Bloggers
- That Paki Blog: The Best-Dressed Men at the Grammys
- The Best Organic Skincare: Vapour Organic Atmosphere Luminous Foundation Review
- TLV Birdie: Briogeo Natural Hair Care
- We Are Ready Made: Smells Like Teen Spirit
- We the Unicorns: How to Be Your Own Valentine