Tuesday, April 28, 2015

5 Tips About Blowdrying Every Girl Should Know

Since we started caring what our hair looked like, girls- and some guys- have dedicated the ten minutes after a shower to drying our hair. From experience, we can all guarantee that blow drying, for the most part, gives us the best results- but did you know that this staple in your hair routine could be killing your hair? Today, I'm sharing my top tips for blowdrying hair while minimizing the damage.
1. Blow dry after you get ready.
Giving your hair a little time to air-dry at least slightly before you blowdry it makes a huge difference. If you wash your hair in the morning, try doing it right when you wake up, and save blowdrying for after you've finished getting ready.

2. Ditch the brush.
I know it's tempting, but stay away from brushes on wet hair at all costs. I'm extremely guilty of this, and I love brushing my hair while it's wet, but since your hair is much more prone to breakage when it's wet, that's actually a really bad idea. Try using a comb, or better yet, your fingers when drying your hair. It'll make all the difference.

3. Use heat protectant.
I know so many people that think you're only supposed to use heat protectant for curling or flat irons. This is completely incorrect. Blow dryers are just as damaging to your hair under prolonged usage, and a heat protectant can be vital in keeping your healthy hair. I love this one by Not your Mother's.

4. Try leave-in conditioner.
Leave-in conditioner can be used with or instead of heat protectant, and it's one of my biggest haircare staples. It protects your hair like a heat protectant, and it's also packed with ingredients designed to moisturize and smooth frizz. I use one by Garnier Fructis here.

5. Lay off the dryer.
Laying off the blowdrying every once in a while can be really beneficial for your hair. I'd recommend doing this at least once every week or two just to give your hair a break from the heat, or at least when you start to notice increased dryness to your hair. To keep your hair from looking a complete mess on these days, I'd recommend investing in a good sea salt spray. They're excellent for ensuring a nice air-dryed finish, and they smell wonderful. I use Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment