Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Two Year Anniversary + Five Blogging Tips

Today is the anniversary of a very special day in my life: my two-year blog anniversary.

Two years. Wow. That in itself blows my mind.

Two years ago today, I took a photo of my eye with my iPod, edited it in a free app, and posted it on ChromoBeauty in my 5 Ways to Get Perfect Mascara Every Time post. Since then, I've learned a thing or two about writing (and mascara), and today, I'm sharing some of the biggest lessons I've learned as a writer in my two years of content creation on ChromoBeauty.

1. It isn't always about the photos.
When I first started blogging, I thought photos were everything. In fact, I didn't even have writing in my early articles, just outfit credits and some awkward photos of me in my bedroom wearing my favorite pieces. It wasn't until I actually started putting my thoughts and opinions into my articles that I received real feedback and attention to my articles.

2. ...but sometimes, it is about the photos.
Although photos definitely don't count for everything, they're a lot of it. Sharing a great outfit means nothing if your readers can't see it. Using natural lighting, taking several shots, and figuring out which angles work best for you takes your posts to a new level.

3. Sponsorship isn't everything.
When I first launched and started being approached by brands looking for coverage, I took every offer that came my way because I saw that as people noticing my blog, which had to be good, right? But after so many product reviews, readers are going to lose interest, especially if they aren't completely relevant to your niche. Being picky about your sponsored posts and balancing your product reviews with creative content is key to building a strong readership.

4. The numbers aren't everything.
Having thousands of views on a daily basis is definitely an achievement, but having a loyal base of readers that is genuinely interested in your content is an important step to building a blog. Readers that take the time to check back for new content regularly are much more valuable than readers that visit once and forget your name as soon as they close the tab. My numbers are still on the low scale, but the readers I do have are loyal and keep coming back.

5. Don't just do it for the money.
Currently, I'm not taking a dime from ChromoBeauty. I've never tried advertising, and I'm not interested in that right now. Blogging is purely a hobby, and although I'm occasionally gifted products for review, I don't currently receive monetary compensation, and I'm completely okay with that. Writing because you're passionate is so much more enjoyable than writing out of obligation.

Lastly, I want to thank all of you so much for being here and encouraging me over the course of these past two years. Your support is what makes it all worthwhile, and I look forward to another year writing for you :)

1 comment:

  1. Happy 2 year blogiversary!

    http://dogmomchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete