Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Here's Why Not Washing Your Hair Should be Your New Years Resolution

In 2015, you most likely had things about your hair that you didn't like. Maybe it was greasy and flat. Maybe it was dry, frizzy, and untameable. But this is 2016. People years ago thought we'd have flying cars by now, but instead, we have the solution to your haircare woes: not shampooing.
Washing your hair frequently is actually the reason you have to wash it frequently. Sounds a little backwards, doesn't it? Your scalp produces so much of a type of oil called sebum in a day, and when you wash your hair, it cleanses and removes these oils. But washing regularly and constantly disposing of sebum is the entire reason you're producing so much. When you shampoo less regularly, your body slowly adapts to this and begins producing less sebum, meaning your hair doesn't need to be washed every day.

I jumped onto the no-poo train by accident a few months ago. I had recently bleached my hair for the first time, and my top priority was whipping it back into shape, so I started shampooing less frequently. Prior to this, I had already been washing my hair every other day, so I decided to see if I could stretch it to twice weekly, shampooing on Wednesdays and Sundays. Now, I'm at the point where I can go an entire week without washing my hair.

Frequent shampooing is probably a factor behind your hair's dryness or frizziness. Spreading out shampooing and not constantly removing sebum promotes shinier, smoother, and more manageable hair, aka the infamous second day hair. We've all experienced the wonder of second day hair, how it just seems to style perfectly and stay in place all day. That's because it has the perfect amount of sebum, so it isn't flat and greasy or dry and out of control. Since your sebum production is cut back so much by not shampooing, this blissful period of manageable hair lasts much longer.

But no-poo isn't something that shows results overnight. There's going to be a period where your hair isn't looking its best, and you'll want it in a ponytail every day. It's similar to switching face washes. Your face will initially break out, and you go through a period of wanting to just go back to your old tried and true regimen. But if you stick it out, you know that this only lasts for a brief period, and clear skin awaits. It's the same concept. When you begin, your body is still producing sebum at the same rate, and your hair is going to feel greasy, but after a while, once your body adapts, this will change, and going longer without shampooing will feel the same as it did doing it every few days.

Dry shampoo is a miracle product during this period. It absorbs some of the oils but isn't as harsh as shampoo. Keep in mind that you should only use dry shampoo a couple of times weekly or you might dry out your scalp! Plus, you can always wash your hair without using shampoo once or twice during the week as needed. Conditioner contains multiple cleaning agents, albeit not nearly as many as shampoo, so it makes for a perfect pick-me-up midway through the week. To do this, take a lot of conditioner and scrub your scalp vigorously until you get a bit of a lather. Let this sit for a few minutes (I usually shave my legs while I wait) and rinse thoroughly. It will leave your hair feeling less oily but not squeaky-clean.

Have you tried the no-poo method? Share your stories in the comments below!

I'm also currently hosting a giveaway! Check it out here.

3 comments:

  1. I decided to try nopoo, and have used baking soda & water as shampoo, and apple cider vinegar & water as conditioner. First time was Dec 27. Is my hair supposed to be this electric? I can't comb through it without looking like I stuck my head in a cable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure, and although I have heard many good things about the baking soda and vinegar method, I've never tried it myself. Remember that every hair type is different, and perhaps this isn't the best combination for you. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I bought a humidifier....problem solved :) (so far)

      Delete